Income Tax Preparation


United Way offers free tax preparation!

Starting April 7 Walk-Ins are Welcome.
No appointment needed.


For information call 2-1-1 or 1-888-421-1266


With United there are 3 ways to file your taxes for free

  1. In person at United Way with a tax preparer
  2. Self-preparation at United Way with a tax coach
  3. On-line preparation with United Way’s

Want to have your taxes prepared for free?

If you earned $52,000 or less, you qualify!  You may be eligible for earned income tax credits up to $4824.  You can avoid high fees by having your taxes prepared by IRS certified volunteers. Get your refund in 10-14 days.  Unsure about eligibility? Call 2-1-1 or 1-866-869-4921.

Want to file your own taxes?

Use our free On-Line Tax Preparation: If your individual or combined household income is $58,000 or less, you can file your federal and state taxes for free! This free and secure, do-it-yourself option utilizes H&R Block software and is made possible through a partnership betweenWalmart Foundation, Goodwill International and United Way Worldwide.  And, if you have questions while filing your taxes, free telephone assistance is available Monday to Saturday until 9 p.m. by calling 1-855-MY-TX-HELP

Looking for a location near you for free tax preparation?

Search this IRS Resource for locations by zip code. Click Here

Want to know more about our Free Tax Assistance Program? 

• You will find details on the ways to file here: Free Tax Assistance Information
• See how the results of our program last year. 2013 Tax Program Results
• Watch our video featuring Alabama’s 13 Mike Royer

What to bring to your appointment:

  • Picture ID for you and your spouse
  • Social Security cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and children you are claiming
  • A copy of last year’s return
  • W-2 forms for jobs held in last year
  • 1099 forms, such as 1099G, 1099Misc, 1099Int
  • For direct deposit, bring your savings and/or checking account and routing numbers
  • If you paid for child care — documentation listing provider name, address, tax ID#, and amount paid
  • Tuition expense statement (1098T) and/or student loan interest statement (1098E)
  • Home mortgage interest (1098) and property taxes paid
  • Documentation of alimony and child support
  • If you are itemizing bring documentation of out-of-pocket expenses for medical bills and charitable contributions